Monday, March 2, 2009

I am afraid....I hear, and my body trembles....my legs tremble


Prophet Habakkuk, a holy and righteous man, like all holy men in scriptures "were struck and overwhelmed whenever they beheld the presence of God". God our Heavenly Father is the unchangeable God. When we approach God in prayer and when we worship God, we must always remember that Him whom scriptures described as Holy, Holy, Holy.

"O Jehovah, I have heard Your report; I am afraid. O Jehovah, give new life to Your work in the midst of years; in the midst of the years make known; in wrath remember mercy. ......................................I hear, and my body trembles; my lips quiver at the sound; rottenness enters into my bones; my legs tremble beneath me. Yet I will quietly wait for the day of trouble to come upon people who invade us." Hab 3:2,16

“Hence that dread and amazement with which as Scripture uniformly relates, holy men were struck and overwhelmed whenever they beheld the presence of God. When we see those who previously stood firm and secure so quaking with terror, that the fear of death takes hold of them, nay, they are, in a manner, swallowed up and annihilated, the inference to be drawn is that men are never duly touched and impressed with a conviction of their insignificance, until they have contrasted themselves with the majesty of God.” John Calvin, Institutes on the Christian Religion 1, part 5 Book First: Of the Knowledge of God the Creator

No comments: