Thursday, July 23, 2009

Joel Osteen does not know if believing in Christ is the only way to God

Pastor Steve Lawson preaching at the Shepherd Conference 2009 that the Gospel of Jesus Christ must be defended and be preached without compromise or shame, for the purpose of salvation of men and women, to the glory of God. Ministers are called to serve God and declare His saving truth faithfully. Ministers are not to serve their own end in trying to be popular and to please the audience and then be found denying truth declared clearly by God in the Bible. Pastor Steve Lawson exposed the sad state of the popular religion of Joel Osteen, its teachings and position on the "gospel", which tickle the ears and please the listening audience but does not stand surely on God's eternal truth. Joel Osteen's influence is not merely limited to USA, he has fans everywhere. Through his books and tapes which are pervasive, he spread his perverted teachings to fans everywhere. Joel Osteen, in front of globally broadcast CNN cable TV, said that he does not know if believing in Christ is the only way to God. (see Clip below and Transcipts) This is the sad state of many popular man-centered teachers like Joel Osteen.





Jesus said
to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. John 14:6

“Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.” John 3:36

And this is the testimony, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life. 1 John 5:11-12





CNN LARRY KING LIVE - Interview With Joel Osteen, Aired June 20, 2005 - 21:00 ET

KING: Is it hard to lead a Christian life?

OSTEEN: I don't think it's that hard. To me it's fun. We have joy and happiness. Our family -- I don't feel like that at all. I'm not trying to follow a set of rules and stuff. I'm just living my life.

KING: But you have rules, don't you?

OSTEEN: We do have rules. But the main rule to me is to honor God with your life. To life a life of integrity. Not be selfish. You know, help others. But that's really the essence of the Christian faith.

KING: That we live in deeds?

OSTEEN: I don't know. What do you mean by that?

KING: Because we've had ministers on who said, your record don't count. You either believe in Christ or you don't. If you believe in Christ, you are, you are going to heaven. And if you don't no matter what you've done in your life, you ain't.

OSTEEN: Yeah, I don't know. There's probably a balance between. I believe you have to know Christ. But I think that if you know Christ, if you're a believer in God, you're going to have some good works. I think it's a cop-out to say I'm a Christian but I don't ever do anything ...

KING: What if you're Jewish or Muslim, you don't accept Christ at all?

OSTEEN: You know, I'm very careful about saying who would and wouldn't go to heaven. I don't know ...

KING: If you believe you have to believe in Christ? They're wrong, aren't they?

OSTEEN: Well, I don't know if I believe they're wrong. I believe here's what the Bible teaches and from the Christian faith this is what I believe. But I just think that only God with judge a person's heart. I spent a lot of time in India with my father. I don't know all about their religion. But I know they love God. And I don't know. I've seen their sincerity. So I don't know. I know for me, and what the Bible teaches, I want to have a relationship with Jesus.





In this clip below, Joel Osteen said on public TV that Mormons teachings about Jesus Christ is the SAME as his. One really need to ask: Which Jesus Christ is Joel Osteen really pointing people to ?





I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel-- not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed. For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ. Gal 1:6-10

1 comment:

Thy Word Is Truth said...

2010 West Coast Conference - Ligonier Ministries Events
"Christless Christianity" - Session 2 - Dr John. MacArthur's message entitled Becoming a Better You.

This posted comment is an extract of a blog on the message, please visit now for the source of content and full blog:
http://www.ligonier.org/blog/2010-west-coast-conference-session-2-john-macarthur/


INTRODUCTION

Dr. MacArthur's message was entitled Becoming a Better You. He began by noting that there are numerous best-selling books out there on "finding God" (The Secret, The Shack, etc.). The common story line is that we are sufficiently powerful to create reality. If we visualize our succeeding at whatever goal we set, it will happen. We are in charge of providence. We can rearrange the universe.

In a vast religious ponzi scheme (that makes the ones at the top of the pile filthy rich), there are many participants. MacArthur listed a dozen names (Robert Schuller, Benny Hinn, Kenneth Copeland, etc.) and movements (e.g., word-faith movement) which play on this theme -- Jesus is a force waiting to be activated -- by you, knowing what you want.

But MacArthur focused on Joel Osteen. He called him "hyper-Pelagian" and a "quasi-pantheist", who "makes Jesus a footnote in his ministry to satisfy his critics". Osteen teaches that we were all made to be winners. When Osteen says "God's Word" he is not referring to the Bible. He is referring to the positive inner message that an individual, if perceptive, hears God telling him or her. The message? You've simply got to "know what you want, speak it, and go make it happen."

Osteen's prayer: "I thank you Father that I have your favor. I know these principles work because they've worked for my wife and I. And I got the perfect parking spot at the mall the other day."


MOUTHPIECE FOR SATAN

MacArthur called Osteen a mouthpiece for Satan. Why? Because he offers the unregenerate the things they already want. When Satan tempted Jesus, he appealed to Jesus' immediate desires.

Why are guys like Osteen successful? Because they appeal to natural desires. Osteen has no biblical understanding of God or man. In reality, no man is either able or willing to come to God. He is far more interested in what Satan can give him in this life. The idea that you are an innate champion is appealing to the flesh, but embracing it has nothing to do with coming to God.

Osteen’s teaching has nothing of that most vilified doctrine, total depravity. The idea that man is helpless and hopeless – a loser – is also the most Christian doctrine. People are willing to acknowledge that they are sinners in their sin, but not that they are sinners in their goodness and in their religion. They put idols of their own making in place of the true God.

God does not offer sinners what already enslaves them – their natural desires. The gospel bids us to put our sins to death and to flee to Christ. The idea that this is our “best life now” is exactly what Satan would want us to believe. After all, Satan offers sins and pleasures for a mere season.

This posted comment is an extract of a blog on the message, please visit now for the source of content and full blog:
http://www.ligonier.org/blog/2010-west-coast-conference-session-2-john-macarthur/